vrijdag 5 september 2008

Gloomy









Istanbul September 4th. After staying at 'Tatty' (the cheap Cihangir Hotel), 'Swanky' (the glamor 'old Hollywood' Hilton), I am now at 'Gloomy'. I am at the outrageously expensive Hyatt Regency Istanbul. I loved the Istanbul Hilton so much and this was such well managed place, I suddenly notice the endless and very amusing flaws of the Hyatt Regency. There are different hotel management styles, this trip I saw three: The 'I really don't care' style at the Cihangir, the 'we understand you are here to have a good time' style of the Istanbul Hilton and the 'we are afraid for our management' style at the Hyatt Regency. Don't be mistaken, the Hyatt Regency is a very well run and beautiful hotel, but the staff is so well drilled that it has no more eyes for the customers, they are completely fixated on what the management has told them what to do. When I ordered a 10 euro glass of wine at the pool, it took three staff members to make sure I did not get more than a 20% filled plastic glass, and when I joked about it, this was not understood, I am sure you get fired for giving the customers more than a one fifth glass of wine, looking at the fear in the eyes of the bartenders. When I was leaving the hotel with my rolling bag I got more or less stuck in the revolving door and sort of fell out of the hotel. A bell boy standing close to the door outside who watched me trip and fall then yelled in my face "TAXI?". Obviously instructed by management to offer assistance getting a taxi, but have no clue what to do if someone falls over his own bag. Quite amusing.

Anyway, the hotel is nice at a fabulous location and decorated in a very New York style, like the Soho Grand Hotel. A bit dark, brownish and gloomy, that does look great in New York's Tribeca, but here is just looks depressing and out of place.

Geen opmerkingen: